1. Children should understand at an early age the importance of eye contact, a firm handshake, and gracious greetings.
2. Children should practice deference and respect for all grown-ups.
3. Children who practice kindness and gratitude at home will find social situations at school and elsewhere instinctively easier.
4. Giving and receiving compliments sincerely builds self-esteem.
5. “Please’’ and “thank you’’ are more than magic words. The former acknowledges not everything in the world belongs to you; the latter affirms that what you have is a consequence of a connection to others.